-   -   Excel: How do I type a letter in a column and make a check mark a. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/19100-excel-how-do-i-type-letter-column-make-check-mark.html)

BauerY

Excel: How do I type a letter in a column and make a check mark a.

There is a template in Excell for to do list for Projects. In this workbook
one can check off each item as completed by typing a letter in the column and
a check mark appears, I like to use this functions on other projects but
unable to find the steps to do this. Anyone no how?

Dave Peterson

Saved from an earlier post:

Maybe just give the cells a custom format.

Format the cells by:
selecting them
format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:

alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
ü;ü;ü;ü
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings.

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:

=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

You can just see if the cell is empty.

--

Dave Peterson

JulieD

Hi

apply the Webdings font to the cell (column)

Cheers
JulieD

"BauerY" wrote in message
There is a template in Excell for to do list for Projects. In this
workbook
one can check off each item as completed by typing a letter in the column
and
a check mark appears, I like to use this functions on other projects but
unable to find the steps to do this. Anyone no how?

Gord Dibben

Format the column as Marlett font then just type an "a"(no quotes) into a
cell.

Make sure you don't need to type anything else in this column.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP