-   -   Either percentage or dollar discount formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/190988-either-percentage-dollar-discount-formula.html)

KHiggins2008

Either percentage or dollar discount formula

Would like to have the option to discount a list of sales items by either
plugging in a discount OR a dollar amount on the same row.

Tim879

Either percentage or dollar discount formula

In order to make this work, you need to either tell excel what you
want to do (i.e. % or $) or make an assumption about the data.

this assumes the following:
a1 has the sales amount
b2: If you're entering a % it will be less than 1 (i.e. .25 or 25%).
if the number is then 1 it assumes that you're subtracting $
c2 has this formula =IF(B1<1,A1-A1*B1,A1-B1)

On Jun 12, 8:54 am, KHiggins2008
wrote:
Would like to have the option to discount a list of sales items by either
plugging in a discount OR a dollar amount on the same row.

KHiggins2008

Either percentage or dollar discount formula

Thank you, but I think I worded the question wrong - what I am trying to do
is give a sales rep the option to either put in a % discount, or allow them
to enter a FINAL price without them having to calculate. For example, an
item listed at $20,000, and they want the final price to be $17,500. How can
I let them either say "I want a 20% discount, or I just want the price to
"end up" being $17,500. Thanks again.