-   -   Separating characters from a cell so I can sort on them (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/190570-separating-characters-cell-so-i-can-sort-them.html)

Princess Caroline

Separating characters from a cell so I can sort on them

I've got data that includes a variable. Either -B or -P. I need to sort on
this variable.
348.00-P
113.20-P
2023.90-B
411.00-B
504.00-B
135.00-P

Simple explaination, please. I don't really speak Excel language very well...
Thanks

Dave

Separating characters from a cell so I can sort on them

Hi Princess,
One simple way is with a helper column.
If your data is in Column A, stating A2, then in B2 enter:
=RIGHT(A2,1)
Copy down to the last row of your data in Column A.
Select all data in Columns A and B:
Data Sort:
Sort By: Column B.
OK

Regards - Dave.

"Princess Caroline" wrote:

I've got data that includes a variable. Either -B or -P. I need to sort on
this variable.
348.00-P
113.20-P
2023.90-B
411.00-B
504.00-B
135.00-P

Simple explaination, please. I don't really speak Excel language very well...
Thanks

RagDyeR

Separating characters from a cell so I can sort on them

You can create a "helper" column, where you extract the last letter, and
then sort both columns together, using the helper column as the sort key.

Say your data was in Column A.

In B1 enter this formula:

=Right(A1)

And then copy down as needed.

You might try *double* clicking on the fill handle (little black square in
the lower right corner of a *selected* cell).

This will *automatically* copy the formula in B1 down Column B, as far as
there is data in Column A.

Now select both columns, and sort on Column B.

--
HTH,

RD

"Princess Caroline" wrote in
message ...
I've got data that includes a variable. Either -B or -P. I need to sort
on
this variable.
348.00-P
113.20-P
2023.90-B
411.00-B
504.00-B
135.00-P

Simple explaination, please. I don't really speak Excel language very
well...
Thanks

Princess Caroline

Separating characters from a cell so I can sort on them

Ok, I got this to work. Wonder if I could actually remove the -B or -P from
the number so I can total the number?

"RagDyer" wrote:

[...]

You can kill 2 birds with one stone using TTC (Text To Columns).

Select the column of data in Column A, then, from the Menu Bar:

<Data <TextToColumns <Delimited <Next

On the 2nd page of the TTC wizard, click on "Other",
And key in the dash, in the next box.

If you look down in the "Data Preview" window, you'll see the way the data
will be separated.

Now, just click <Finish.

You should have your first column in a calculable format, and the second
column ready to be used as the sort key.
--
HTH,

RD

"Princess Caroline" wrote in
message ...

"RagDyer" wrote:

[...]

Reitanos

Separating characters from a cell so I can sort on them

If each value will have a hyphen that separates the number from the
last character(s) you can use:
=VALUE(LEFT(B5,FIND("-",B5)-1))

The FIND function locates the hyphen
The LEFT function collects the characters before that (the -1 ensure
that you don't get the hyphen also)
The VALUE function converts the result to a value to allow you to
perform your math

"RagDyer" wrote:
[...]

Rick Rothstein \(MVP - VB\)[_639_]

Separating characters from a cell so I can sort on them

Assuming your data is in Column A starting in Row 1, you can get your total
using this array-entered** formula...

=SUM(IF(A1:A1000<"",--LEFT(A1:A1000,FIND("-",A1:A1000)-1),0))

You can change the maximum possible row number from the 1000 I used to
whatever value you want.

** NOTE...
Commit the above function using Ctrl+Shift+Enter and NOT just Enter by
itself.

Rick

"Princess Caroline" wrote in
message ...