-   -   Get lower half of a column of numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/190404-get-lower-half-column-numbers.html)

EllenM

Get lower half of a column of numbers

Hello,
I'd like to pick out the lower half of a column of numbers, basically
anything <median(a2:a50). Is there a way to do this as a sort? I'd like to
remove the upper half. After that I'd like to sort on another field.

Thanks,
Ellen

Bob Bridges

Get lower half of a column of numbers

If you want to "remove" the upper half in the sense I think, you can just
sort on that column, delete the upper section and then sort on the other
column.

But then, you knew that already, and you're asking this in the context of
formulae. So how about this: Create another column out at the right
somewhere whose formula in row two is "=A2<MEDIAN(A2:A50)". The value of
each cell is either TRUE or FALSE. Then you sort the rows using this column
as the primary and your other column as the secondary; all the rows you want
will be at one end or the other (I forget whether TRUE or FALSE sorts first),
sorted correctly on your other column.

--- "EllenM" wrote:
I'd like to pick out the lower half of a column of numbers, basically
anything <median(a2:a50). Is there a way to do this as a sort? I'd like to
remove the upper half. After that I'd like to sort on another field.

EllenM

Get lower half of a column of numbers

Thanks, Bob. I thought perhaps there was a pick out the rows I wanted with a
sort-- actually, a filter is what I was looking for. Your way also works.
Thanks.