-   -   My formula will not show the result, only the formula. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/18757-my-formula-will-not-show-result-only-formula.html)

MeredithWSR

My formula will not show the result, only the formula.

I am trying to use the "Concatenate" function to join two columns in a third
column (ie Mr. + Jones=Mr. Jones). On a blank spreadsheet with sample data,
this works fine, but in my existant spreadsheet, I cannot get it to work. I
feel like the spreadsheet must have some setting activated that is preventing
the formula from calculating the result, but I can't figure out what it is.
I have tried the "Control-grave accent" step described in Help, but this is
not the problem. Any idea what the problem is? Thanks!

Duke Carey

Do you mean you've tried Ctrl-Shift-~ or just Ctrl-~

The one with the Shift key formats the cells as General; the one without the
Shift key toggles the sheet between showing formulas and results.

You likely have the cells formatted as Text. Change them to General by
selecting the offending range and pressing the Ctrl-Shift-~ key combinations.

Hope this helps

Duke

"MeredithWSR" wrote:

I am trying to use the "Concatenate" function to join two columns in a third
column (ie Mr. + Jones=Mr. Jones). On a blank spreadsheet with sample data,
this works fine, but in my existant spreadsheet, I cannot get it to work. I
feel like the spreadsheet must have some setting activated that is preventing
the formula from calculating the result, but I can't figure out what it is.
I have tried the "Control-grave accent" step described in Help, but this is
not the problem. Any idea what the problem is? Thanks!

MeredithWSR

Yes! Thank you-worked like a charm. :)

"MeredithWSR" wrote:

I am trying to use the "Concatenate" function to join two columns in a third
column (ie Mr. + Jones=Mr. Jones). On a blank spreadsheet with sample data,
this works fine, but in my existant spreadsheet, I cannot get it to work. I
feel like the spreadsheet must have some setting activated that is preventing
the formula from calculating the result, but I can't figure out what it is.
I have tried the "Control-grave accent" step described in Help, but this is
not the problem. Any idea what the problem is? Thanks!

Bob Phillips

What does happen if it doesn't work?

You could try

=A1&" "&B1