-   -   changing a cell from date to a number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/18749-changing-cell-date-number.html)

mwhite

changing a cell from date to a number

I entered a number in a cell. When I went to the next cell, the number i
just entered changed to a date. What do I need to do to keep the number
there and not have the date keep showing up?

JE McGimpsey

What number did you enter?

If you entered just digits (or digits and a decimal point), change the
format of the cell to General or a Number format.

If you entered the number as a fraction, e.g., 1/3, XL's parser will
always try to interpret that as a date. To enter this type of fraction,
include the 0, e.g.,:

0 1/3