-   -   COUNTIF or COUNTIF (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/187430-countif-countif.html)

[email protected]

COUNTIF or COUNTIF

Hello All

I am trying to write a function so that if A or N appear in a row, the
number of occurances will be counted and logged. If the result = 0
then that row will be deleted. If have it working with a COUNTIF for
one variable, and I understand that nesting more than one does not
work. Despite searching, I have only found solutions for satisfying
two variables at once (ie. AND), however I need a function to count
whether an A OR an N OR both occur. (It is not the end of the world if
when both an A and an N are found the results are not summed to give
the total number of occurances...as long as the result retunred is <0
it would satisfy the need).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Andy

Pete_UK

COUNTIF or COUNTIF

I'm not sure from your description if A or N can appear together in
the same cell, but you could try this approach:

=COUNTIF(2:2,"A") + COUNTIF(2:2,"N")

which will be 0 if either A or N (alone) appears in row 2. If A or N
could be in the same cell, then you could include wildcards inthe
COUNTIF terms.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On May 14, 4:14*pm, wrote:
Hello All

I am trying to write a function so that if A or N appear in a row, the
number of occurances will be counted and logged. If the result = 0
then that row will be deleted. If have it working with a COUNTIF for
one variable, and I understand that nesting more than one does not
work. Despite searching, I have only found solutions for satisfying
two variables at once (ie. AND), however I need a function to count
whether an A OR an N OR both occur. (It is not the end of the world if
when both an A and an N are found the results are not summed to give
the total number of occurances...as long as the result retunred is <0
it would satisfy the need).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Andy

Bob Phillips

COUNTIF or COUNTIF

=SUM(COUNTIF(2:2,{"A","N"}))

--
HTH

Bob

wrote in message
Hello All

I am trying to write a function so that if A or N appear in a row, the
number of occurances will be counted and logged. If the result = 0
then that row will be deleted. If have it working with a COUNTIF for
one variable, and I understand that nesting more than one does not
work. Despite searching, I have only found solutions for satisfying
two variables at once (ie. AND), however I need a function to count
whether an A OR an N OR both occur. (It is not the end of the world if
when both an A and an N are found the results are not summed to give
the total number of occurances...as long as the result retunred is <0
it would satisfy the need).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Andy

[email protected]

COUNTIF or COUNTIF

Many thanks Bob and Pete. Sheet is working a charm now!

Andy

Pete_UK

COUNTIF or COUNTIF

Thanks for feeding back.