-   -   Trying to add conditional formatting to every other cell...GOING . (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/18639-trying-add-conditional-formatting-every-other-cell-going.html)

trixiebme

Trying to add conditional formatting to every other cell...GOING .

Desparately in need of help!!!

What I am trying to do is find the conditional formatting that is going to
highlight the "Not equal to" cells.

In other words, below I have sample cell rows to the left (1,2,3,...), a
column "A" and then I have two sets of matching #'s, one below another.

I did a conditional formatting (from cell B2) that said "Cell Values is"
"Not equal to" "=B$1"...I set it to highlight/shade when one of the two cells
is not equal to the other.

It works great for the 1st 2 rows...however when I do a paint formatting
from B2 down to the rest of the row, it formats the wrong cells & every other
cell highlights...In other words...B3 not equal to B2, B5 not equal to
B4....and so on!!!

PLEASE...I'm desperate.....can someone help!!!

1 83543520
2 83543520
3 09341720
4 109341720
5 7503362001
6 7503362001
7 0501652001
8 0501652001
9 94485620
10 94485620
11 22122520
12 22122520

Jason Morin

Using B$1 locks the row. Change it to B1.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

[...]

.

trixiebme

All of you have been great for offering your help...however, you won't
believe why I couldn't do this...I was not selecting/highlighting both cells
before painting!!! I was only selecting the cell where the condition was
given!

Something so simple took me ALL day to figure out & had everyone wondering
why it worked for them and not me!

Thanks again everyone...

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

Insert a blank row at the top of the list
Select the cells in column B, e.g. B2:B500
Choose FormatConditional Formatting
From the first dropdown, choose Formula Is
In the formula box, type: =AND(MOD(ROW(B2),2)=0,B2<B3)
Click the Format button, and choose a Pattern colour.
Click OK

Click the Add button
For Condition 2, select Formula Is
In the formula box, type: =AND(MOD(ROW(B2),2)=1,B2<B1)
Click the Format button, and choose a Pattern colour.
Click OK, click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List