Old February 26th 10, 01:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jag Jag is offline

Default How do I sum up random cells

Hello Spiky,
What if there are #N/A values in your cell range? Any way to prevent the
SUM() function from skipping those?
Thanks,
Joe

"Spiky" wrote:

On Apr 25, 4:43 am, "MartinW" wrote:
Hi Josh,

Another way, type =SUM( in the cell where you want the total,
Then click on your first cell and tap comma
click on the second cell and tap comma etc. etc.

You are limited to 30 numbers but any contiguous range in the
selection will only count as 1 number. i.e =SUM(A4,C7,D713,F15)
would only count as 4 numbers.

Obviously it is still a bit awkward, but it is better than typing
out the formula.

Select the random cells using CTrl-Click, then look in the bottom right
of
the statusbar, you will see a sum. If it is count, right-click and select
SUM.

--
HTH

Bob

You can combine these 2 suggestions I quoted for a bit faster usage.
Type =SUM( or just hit Autosum button, then CTRL-Click all the random
cells that you want.

Old February 26th 10, 01:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jag Jag is offline

Hi Gord,
What if there are some cells with the value of #N/A? What could be done so
the Sum function skips those and continues to sum the remaining cells in the
selection?
Thanks,
Joe

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Martin

Info only............................

To SUM more than 30 cells use double parens.

=SUM((A1,A3,A5,.........A123))

Don't know what the limit is..........too lazy to check but if you run it out
let us know if you find a limit<g

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:43:35 +1000, "MartinW" wrote:

Hi Josh,

Another way, type =SUM( in the cell where you want the total,
Then click on your first cell and tap comma
click on the second cell and tap comma etc. etc.

You are limited to 30 numbers but any contiguous range in the
selection will only count as 1 number. i.e =SUM(A4,C7,D713,F15)
would only count as 4 numbers.

Obviously it is still a bit awkward, but it is better than typing
out the formula.

HTH
Martin

"Josh W" wrote in message
Thanks Bob! Can I apply the sum in the status bar automatically or do I
have
to insert the sum manually into the sheet.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Select the random cells using CTrl-Click, then look in the bottom right
of
the statusbar, you will see a sum. If it is count, right-click and select
SUM.

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Josh W" wrote in message
Rick, let me try to explain better. Say I want to add up the values of
40
different cells which are located all over the page (not in order
neither
vertically nor horizontally). How do I do that? If I were to follow
your
advice and type in the + sign and the cells it would take me for
ages...Thanks.

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote:

If your question is as simple as it sounds, then just put an equal
sign
in
front of what you posted and place that in a cell...

=A2+A7+C4+D7+G3

However, you use of the word "random" in the subject line seems to
indicate
you might have a more complex question... do you?

Rick

"Josh W" wrote in message
I want to add up the values of various discontiguous cells in a
worksheet
e.g. A2+A7+C4+D7+G3. What is the quickest way to do this? The
autosum
function doesn't seem to work for this. Excel 2003. Thanks.

Old February 26th 10, 01:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jag Jag is offline

Hi Lori,
What if one of the cells in the selection has a value of #N/A? Is there any
way that the Sum function can disregard those and still provide a total of
the good cells in the selection?
Thanks,
Joe

"Lori" wrote:

Martin - the brackets just mean it is a multiple selection. Use the INDEX
function to pick out a particular range e.g. =INDEX((A1,B2,C3),,,2).

Multiple ranges can be used inside most summary functions as well as a few
others. The number of areas allowed in functions appears to be 32768 before
running out of memory - although the maximum number of areas you can select
on a sheet is limited to 8192. So in practice the formula length limit will
easily come first.

Old February 28th 10, 03:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=sumif(range,"=0",sum_range)+sumif(range,"<=0",su m_range)

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

Old April 20th 17, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Friday, April 25, 2008 at 1:11:01 AM UTC-6, Josh W wrote:
I want to add up the values of various discontiguous cells in a worksheet
e.g. A2+A7+C4+D7+G3. What is the quickest way to do this? The autosum
function doesn't seem to work for this. Excel 2003. Thanks.

Hello does anyone who how to get the sum of a random cells..

example i am working on a project of comparing prices but i dont want to compare all the prices of all the products just the ones i need at that time.