-   -   Auto filling information from Data List (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/184391-auto-filling-information-data-list.html)

Paul

Auto filling information from Data List

I have a Data List A1:E10 with the first column listing by "Unit number" (501
- 509). In the remaining 4 colums I have 4 different vehicle types each of
which have a list of corresponding vehicle numbers for a given unit number.
My requirement is to use this table array as a reference and somewhere else
in the workbook I have a title area where I want to select a Unit Number from
the list (I can select this from a validation list) which automatically
inserts the corresponding vehicle numbers against the 4 vehicle types. I
cannot find which is the correct approach to solve this problem although I
have just been and bought Excel 2003 for Dummies, I still cannot decide the
correct and appropriate method, any help would be appreciated.

Dave Peterson

Auto filling information from Data List

Say you enter the unit number in A1.
Maybe using data|validation so that you can't make a typo!!!

Visit Debra Dalgleish's site for lots of info:

Then you can retrieve the first value (column B of the table) with something
like:

=if($a$1="","",vlookup($a$1,sheet2!a:e,2,false)

the 3rd column:
=if($a$1="","",vlookup($a$1,sheet2!a:e,3,false)
The 5th column:
=if($a$1="","",vlookup($a$1,sheet2!a:e,5,false)

It doesn't do any error checking, since you used data|validation in A1 and you
can't make a typo!!!

Debra Dalgleish has lots of notes on =vlookup() he
and
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

--

Dave Peterson

Paul

Auto filling information from Data List

Many thanks Dave, I shall investigate further and let you know when I find
the answer I am looking for.

Regards,
Paul.