-   -   Invalid Validation if cell "Delete"d (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/18424-invalid-validation-if-cell-%22delete%22d.html)

RWN

Invalid Validation if cell "Delete"d

xl2k on w2kPro

Set up a Validation as a "Whole Number" in range of 1-12 on a "number" formatted cell.

If I select the cell and "Delete" it the Validation let's me leave it that way?
i.e.. I want to ensure that a valid value is present (and in range).

What am I missing?
--
Regards;
Rob

GaryDK

Hi RWN,

Try unchecking "Ignore blank" when you set up the validation, assuming
that by "Delete" you mean clear contents.

Gary

Debra Dalgleish

If the user enters an invalid value, they'll see an error message. If
'Ignore blanks' is unchecked, and they click Retry, then press the
Delete key, they'll see another error message, because the blank cell
won't be allowed as a replacement.

However, Data Validation allows users to use the Delete key to clear a
cell in other circumstances.

RWN wrote:
xl2k on w2kPro

Set up a Validation as a "Whole Number" in range of 1-12 on a "number" formatted cell.

If I select the cell and "Delete" it the Validation let's me leave it that way?
i.e.. I want to ensure that a valid value is present (and in range).

What am I missing?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

RWN

Debra;
However, Data Validation allows users to use the Delete key to clear a
cell in other circumstances.

Your scenario is the experience I'm having and, I take it, is "by design".
(As this is part of a template using VBA I can edit for the condition on my own, so it's
not a problem.)

I'm a wiser person thanks to you.
Much obliged.
--
Regards;
Rob

RWN

Thanks Gary.

Your response showed up at the same time as Debra Dalgleish's.

Problem resolved (see my reply to Debra).

Thanks for your time.

--
Regards;
Rob