-   -   Counting & Displaying (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/184126-counting-displaying.html)

Henn9660

Counting & Displaying

I would like to count the number of characters in a given cell and then be
able to have a display "in your face" telling you how many characters you
have remaining for the particular cell.

In my case, I have a total of 6 COMMENT-type cells. The first one has a
validation max of 250 characters and the other five have a max of 150
available.

Having looked over previous inquiries, I can find out how to count 'words',
but none refer to counting characters.

In advance, thanks!
Jeff Hennessey

AKphidelt

Counting & Displaying

You should be able to right a formula like

Assuming data is in cell A1

=250-LEN(A1)

LEN gives you the amount of characters in a cell

"Henn9660" wrote:

I would like to count the number of characters in a given cell and then be
able to have a display "in your face" telling you how many characters you
have remaining for the particular cell.

In my case, I have a total of 6 COMMENT-type cells. The first one has a
validation max of 250 characters and the other five have a max of 150
available.

Having looked over previous inquiries, I can find out how to count 'words',
but none refer to counting characters.

In advance, thanks!
Jeff Hennessey

Henn9660

Counting & Displaying

I'll give it a try! Many THANKS for the quick response. Jeff

"Henn9660" wrote:

I would like to count the number of characters in a given cell and then be
able to have a display "in your face" telling you how many characters you
have remaining for the particular cell.

In my case, I have a total of 6 COMMENT-type cells. The first one has a
validation max of 250 characters and the other five have a max of 150
available.

Having looked over previous inquiries, I can find out how to count 'words',
but none refer to counting characters.

In advance, thanks!
Jeff Hennessey

Gaurav[_2_]

Counting & Displaying

=250-len(A1)

"Henn9660" wrote in message
I would like to count the number of characters in a given cell and then be
able to have a display "in your face" telling you how many characters you
have remaining for the particular cell.

In my case, I have a total of 6 COMMENT-type cells. The first one has a
validation max of 250 characters and the other five have a max of 150
available.

Having looked over previous inquiries, I can find out how to count
'words',
but none refer to counting characters.

In advance, thanks!
Jeff Hennessey