-   -   How to ignore the signs and make the functions work (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/184123-how-ignore-signs-make-functions-work.html)

Igneshwara reddy[_2_]

How to ignore the signs and make the functions work

Hi,

I need to have a formula which ignore the signs.

Row A1 RowB1 RowC1(Results)
-10 9 10

I need to findout which is the greater number from both ignoring the signs.
Sign should not consider. I have used the MAX formula but it is using the
sign when arrive to the results.

Do the needful at the earliest.

Regards,
Igneshwara reddy

Teethless mama

How to ignore the signs and make the functions work

=MAX(ABS(A1:C1))

ctrl+shift+enter, not just enter

"Igneshwara reddy" wrote:

Hi,

I need to have a formula which ignore the signs.

Row A1 RowB1 RowC1(Results)
-10 9 10

I need to findout which is the greater number from both ignoring the signs.
Sign should not consider. I have used the MAX formula but it is using the
sign when arrive to the results.

Do the needful at the earliest.

Regards,
Igneshwara reddy

Igneshwara reddy[_2_]

How to ignore the signs and make the functions work

yes this formula is working fine but the result should be with sign -10 only.
Sorry I missed this point to state in the below email.

Regards,
Igneshwara reddy

"Igneshwara reddy" wrote:

Hi,

I need to have a formula which ignore the signs.

Row A1 RowB1 RowC1(Results)
-10 9 10

I need to findout which is the greater number from both ignoring the signs.
Sign should not consider. I have used the MAX formula but it is using the
sign when arrive to the results.

Do the needful at the earliest.

Regards,
Igneshwara reddy

T. Valko

How to ignore the signs and make the functions work

Try tis:

=INDEX(A1:B1,MATCH(MAX(INDEX(ABS(A1:B1),1,)),INDEX (ABS(A1:B1),1,),0))

If both cells have the same number but different signs the formula will
return the sign of the *first* cell. For example:

A1 = -10
B1 = 10

Result is -10

--