-   -   Counting number of weeks to complete a task (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/183559-counting-number-weeks-complete-task.html)

[email protected]

Counting number of weeks to complete a task

Hi,

Can anyone help me please.
I have a spreadsheet and I am trying to calculate how many weeks a
task took to complete.
The task does not necessairly have to be completed in consecutive
order.

A brief example:

Week Task
1 Painting
1 Painting
1 Drawing
2 Drawing
2 Drawing
2 Drawing
3 Painting
3 Drawing
3 Drawing

From the table the Painting task was completed in 2 weeks and the
Drawing task was completed in 3 weeks.

I would appreciate your help.

Teethless mama

Counting number of weeks to complete a task

Try this:

=SUM(N(FREQUENCY(IF(Task="Painting",MATCH(Week,Wee k,0)),MATCH(Week,Week,0))0))

=SUM(N(FREQUENCY(IF(Task="Drawing",MATCH(Week,Week ,0)),MATCH(Week,Week,0))0))

Both formulas are required with CRTL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER

" wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone help me please.
I have a spreadsheet and I am trying to calculate how many weeks a
task took to complete.
The task does not necessairly have to be completed in consecutive
order.

A brief example:

Week Task
1 Painting
1 Painting
1 Drawing
2 Drawing
2 Drawing
2 Drawing
3 Painting
3 Drawing
3 Drawing

From the table the Painting task was completed in 2 weeks and the
Drawing task was completed in 3 weeks.

I would appreciate your help.

Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 05:26:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone help me please.
I have a spreadsheet and I am trying to calculate how many weeks a
task took to complete.
The task does not necessairly have to be completed in consecutive
order.

A brief example:

Week Task
1 Painting
1 Painting
1 Drawing
2 Drawing
2 Drawing
2 Drawing
3 Painting
3 Drawing
3 Drawing

From the table the Painting task was completed in 2 weeks and the
Drawing task was completed in 3 weeks.

I would appreciate your help.

One way:

You could download and install Longre's free morefunc.xll add-in from
http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english

Then use this **array** formula:

=COUNT(UNIQUEVALUES(IF(Task="painting",Week)))

To enter an **array** formula, hold down <ctrl<shift while hitting <enter.
XL will place braces {...} around the formula.

Task & Week are the named ranges for your data.
--ron

Herbert Seidenberg

Counting number of weeks to complete a task

Or use Pivot Table:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3fa8i

T. Valko

Counting number of weeks to complete a task

Assume:

A2:A10 = Week
B2:B10 = Task

D2:D3 = Painting; Drawing

If there are no empty cells within Week, try this arry formula** :

=COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(IF(Task=D2,Week),Week))

If there might be empty cells within Week, use this version** :

=COUNT(1/FREQUENCY(IF((Task=D2)*(Week<""),Week),Week))

Copy down to D3.

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

wrote in message

Can anyone help me please.
I have a spreadsheet and I am trying to calculate how many weeks a
task took to complete.
The task does not necessairly have to be completed in consecutive
order.

A brief example:

Week Task
1 Painting
1 Painting
1 Drawing
2 Drawing
2 Drawing
2 Drawing
3 Painting
3 Drawing
3 Drawing

From the table the Painting task was completed in 2 weeks and the

wrote in message

Can anyone help me please.
I have a spreadsheet and I am trying to calculate how many weeks a
task took to complete.
The task does not necessairly have to be completed in consecutive
order.

A brief example:

Week * Task
1 * * * * *Painting
1 * * * * *Painting
1 * * * * *Drawing
2 * * * * *Drawing
2 * * * * *Drawing
2 * * * * *Drawing
3 * * * * *Painting
3 * * * * *Drawing
3 * * * * *Drawing

From the table the Painting task was completed in 2 weeks and the
Drawing task was completed in 3 weeks.

I would appreciate your help.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everyone!
You are lifesavers!
Biff's worked the best!

T. Valko

wrote in message

Can anyone help me please.
I have a spreadsheet and I am trying to calculate how many weeks a
task took to complete.
The task does not necessairly have to be completed in consecutive
order.

A brief example:

Week Task
1 Painting
1 Painting
1 Drawing
2 Drawing
2 Drawing
2 Drawing
3 Painting
3 Drawing
3 Drawing

From the table the Painting task was completed in 2 weeks and the
Drawing task was completed in 3 weeks.

I would appreciate your help.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everyone!
You are lifesavers!
Biff's worked the best!

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Ashish Mathur[_2_]

Counting number of weeks to complete a task

Hi,

You may also use the SUMIF() formula as follows:

=SUMIF(B1:B9,"="&A11,A1:A9)

A11 has either Painting or drawing.

Ashish Mathur
www.ashishmathur.com

"T. Valko" wrote in message

wrote in message

Can anyone help me please.
I have a spreadsheet and I am trying to calculate how many weeks a
task took to complete.
The task does not necessairly have to be completed in consecutive
order.

A brief example:

Week Task
1 Painting