-   -   Solving the 'CLUE' Murder (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/182982-solving-clue-murder.html)

DaleFlyFisher

Solving the 'CLUE' Murder

I think the best way to express my problem is to reference the Clue game.
You have one list of possible murderers, one list of possible rooms and one
list of possible murder weapons. How do I write a function to solve for all
possible answers?

Column A Column B Column C
Plum Kitchen Candlestick
Green Dining Room Gun
Violet Living Room Knife
Mustard Library Rope

I could write out multiple functions, (A1,"in the",B1,"with the",C1);
(A1,"in the",B2,"with the",C1); (A1,"in the",B3,"with the",C1) and so on.
But is there an easier way to find all possible combinations?

Thanks for your help,
DaleFlyFisher

Gary''s Student

Solving the 'CLUE' Murder

Run this macro:

Sub ordinate()
s = Array("Plum", "Green", "Violet", "Mustard")
t = Array("Kitchen", "Dinning Room", "Living Room", "Library")
u = Array("Candlestick", "Gun", "Knife", "Rope")
l = 1
For i = 0 To 3
For j = 0 To 3
For k = 0 To 3
Cells(l, 1).Value = s(i) & " in the " & t(j) & " with a " & u(k)
l = l + 1
Next
Next
Next

Gary''s Student - gsnu200777

"DaleFlyFisher" wrote:

I think the best way to express my problem is to reference the Clue game.
You have one list of possible murderers, one list of possible rooms and one
list of possible murder weapons. How do I write a function to solve for all
possible answers?

Column A Column B Column C
Plum Kitchen Candlestick
Green Dining Room Gun
Violet Living Room Knife
Mustard Library Rope

I could write out multiple functions, (A1,"in the",B1,"with the",C1);
(A1,"in the",B2,"with the",C1); (A1,"in the",B3,"with the",C1) and so on.
But is there an easier way to find all possible combinations?

Thanks for your help,
DaleFlyFisher

DaleFlyFisher

Solving the 'CLUE' Murder

Thank you "Gary"s Student".

If there are dozens of cells in each column, do I have to write out each and
every cell value in the macro? And can the results be made to appear in a
column other than Column A?

Thanks again,
DaleFlyFisher