-   -   Need a Static Timestamp Formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/182686-need-static-timestamp-formula.html)

[email protected]

Need a Static Timestamp Formula

I'm trying to develop a worksheet using Mobile Excel - and among that
version of Excel's 'virtues' is that it doesn't do / support / allow
macros.

Therefore, I'm reduced to trying to come up with a cell formula that
evaluates to a timestamp (date and time) when another cell gets a
value put into it - ant that timestamp doesn't change.

This is a piece of cake if you can use macros, but I have yet to come
up with a way to do this that doesn't recalculate / update all the
timestamp formulas when a recalculation takes place (I'm testing that
by using F9).

Has anyone ever cracked this nut? If the explanation isn't clear,
please ask questions and I'll elaborate...

Thanks!

James

Barb Reinhardt

Need a Static Timestamp Formula

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for or if it works in Mobile
Excel, but try CTRL ;
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

" wrote:

I'm trying to develop a worksheet using Mobile Excel - and among that
version of Excel's 'virtues' is that it doesn't do / support / allow
macros.

Therefore, I'm reduced to trying to come up with a cell formula that
evaluates to a timestamp (date and time) when another cell gets a
value put into it - ant that timestamp doesn't change.

This is a piece of cake if you can use macros, but I have yet to come
up with a way to do this that doesn't recalculate / update all the
timestamp formulas when a recalculation takes place (I'm testing that
by using F9).

Has anyone ever cracked this nut? If the explanation isn't clear,
please ask questions and I'll elaborate...

Thanks!

James

Gord Dibben

Need a Static Timestamp Formula

From John McGimpsey...................

Using circular references and worksheet functions
You can use a circular reference to enter the time when a change is made in
another cell, then maintain that time. Choose Tools/Options/Calculation
(Preferences/Calculation for Macs) and check the Iteration checkbox. Then, if
your target cell is A1 and you want the date/time to appear in B1, enter this in
B1:

=IF(A1="","",IF(B1="",NOW(),B1))

Format B1 as you wish to display date, time, or both. If A1 is initially blank,
B1 will return a null string (""). When a value is entered into A1, B1 will
evaluate as "", therefore NOW() will be returned. After that (as long as A1
remains populated), B1 will evaluate to a date/time and therefore will return
the value in B1 - i.e., the date/time.

.................................................. .

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 06:55:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I'm trying to develop a worksheet using Mobile Excel - and among that
version of Excel's 'virtues' is that it doesn't do / support / allow
macros.

Therefore, I'm reduced to trying to come up with a cell formula that
evaluates to a timestamp (date and time) when another cell gets a
value put into it - ant that timestamp doesn't change.

This is a piece of cake if you can use macros, but I have yet to come
up with a way to do this that doesn't recalculate / update all the
timestamp formulas when a recalculation takes place (I'm testing that
by using F9).

Has anyone ever cracked this nut? If the explanation isn't clear,
please ask questions and I'll elaborate...

Thanks!

James

[email protected]

Need a Static Timestamp Formula

Use this macro

With Target
If .Count 1 Then Exit Sub
If Not Intersect(Range("A2:A10"), .Cells) Is Nothing Then
Application.EnableEvents = False
If IsEmpty(.Value) Then
.Offset(0, 1).ClearContents
Else