-   -   Sorting information within a cell. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/181256-sorting-information-within-cell.html)

Bridget

Sorting information within a cell.

I have 3 colums of information. One of the colums contains SSN's. I need to
sort by the last 2 digits of the SSN and I can't seem to fiqure out how to do
this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete_UK

Sorting information within a cell.

Assume SSN is in column D. Put this formula in a helper column:

=RIGHT(D2,2)*1

and copy down. Then include this helper column in your sort area and
sort by the helper column.

Multiplying by 1 converts the extracted digits to real numbers, so
that your sort makes sense.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 25, 7:07*pm, Bridget wrote:
I have 3 colums of information. One of the colums contains SSN's. I need to
sort by the last 2 digits of the SSN and I can't seem to fiqure out how to do
this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]

On Mar 25, 2:07*pm, Bridget wrote:
I have 3 colums of information. One of the colums contains SSN's. I need to
sort by the last 2 digits of the SSN and I can't seem to fiqure out how to do
this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try this:
In a new column, put this formula to show only the last two digits of
SSN: =RIGHT(cell number,2)
~Where it says "Cell" simple left click once in the SSN cell that
contains the number beside this formula.
~Where it shows the number "2", make sure and put a comma beside it
and then the number two.

Hope this helps. This should work on the numbers even if they have
the dash inbetween the three sections of the SSN.