-   -   Colour multiple cels using range.. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/180048-colour-multiple-cels-using-range.html)

adhide

Colour multiple cels using range..

I am aware of conditional formatting, but what I want to be able to do is
colour multiple cells on a single row based on the 1st cell (being a date)
equalling a date in another work sheet, as conditional formatting only allows
the function to work on the worksheet that the function is placed in.

Jim Cone

Colour multiple cels using range..

Maybe a column of helper cells on the sheet to be colored with a formula...
=A5=OtherSheet!A5 '(returns True or False)
And use the helper cells to activate the conditional formatting.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"adhide"
wrote in message
I am aware of conditional formatting, but what I want to be able to do is
colour multiple cells on a single row based on the 1st cell (being a date)
equalling a date in another work sheet, as conditional formatting only allows
the function to work on the worksheet that the function is placed in.

Max

Colour multiple cels using range..

Using INDIRECT is one way

Example, suppose you want to CF cols A to D in Sheet1
if the dates in col A are found in Sheet2's col A

In Sheet1,
Select the range to be CF'd, say, select A2:D100,
then apply the CF using Formula Is:
=ISNUMBER(MATCH($A2,INDIRECT("'Sheet2'!A:A"),0))

Note that the "$" in $A2 will tie the CF for cols B to D to the date in col A
--
Max
Singapore