-   -   Checking the lower row of vlookup() (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/178619-checking-lower-row-vlookup.html)

ETLahrs

Checking the lower row of vlookup()

I am trying to see if there is a way to check a lower row after vlookup has
found the string in the first column. Example:

Year Event Length
1995 A 10
1995 B 56
1995 C 15

How would I search on another sheet to see if year "1995" had event "C", and
if so, display the length. This is a long spreadsheet with many items in the
first column and the second column isn't always in the number of entries.

Thanks For Any Info.
Edward

T. Valko

Checking the lower row of vlookup()

*Maybe* this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Year=1995),--(Event="C"),Length)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"ETLahrs" wrote in message
I am trying to see if there is a way to check a lower row after vlookup has
found the string in the first column. Example:

Year Event Length
1995 A 10
1995 B 56
1995 C 15

How would I search on another sheet to see if year "1995" had event "C",
and
if so, display the length. This is a long spreadsheet with many items in
the
first column and the second column isn't always in the number of entries.

Thanks For Any Info.
Edward

Fred Smith[_4_]

Checking the lower row of vlookup()

One way is to create a helper column that's =A2&B2, then Vlookup '1995C'.

Another way is to use Sumproduct, as in:

=sumproduct(--(a2:a4=1995),--(b2:b4="C"),c2:c4)

Both of these will work as long as the combination of A and B is unique.

Regards,
Fred.