-   -   validation (list) & auto fill (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/178347-validation-list-auto-fill.html)

Charlie7805

validation (list) & auto fill

I have a list of several hundred names which I linked to a column of cells
using validation. Is there a way to begin typing a name and have auto fill
search alphabetically making the section process quicker and easier?

T. Valko

validation (list) & auto fill

I have a list of several hundred names which I linked to a column of cells
using validation

Does that mean it's a data validation drop down list?

You can use a combo box from the control toolbox. This type of combo box has
an "autocomplete" feature.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Charlie7805" wrote in message
I have a list of several hundred names which I linked to a column of cells
using validation. Is there a way to begin typing a name and have auto
fill
search alphabetically making the section process quicker and easier?

Debra Dalgleish

validation (list) & auto fill

That's not possible in a standard data validation list. You can use a
combo box instead, as described he

Or add letters in the source list, as shown in Roger Govier's sample
file he

Under Data Validation, look for 'DV0046 - Add Headings for Navigation'

Charlie7805 wrote:
I have a list of several hundred names which I linked to a column of cells
using validation. Is there a way to begin typing a name and have auto fill
search alphabetically making the section process quicker and easier?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html