-   -   Extracting text from string (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/176782-extracting-text-string.html)

confused

Extracting text from string

How can I extract the following string: Aaa/AAA/AAA? These need to be
extracted into three separate column. The end result would look like this
Aaa (in column 1), AAA (in column 2), AAA (in column 3).

Can someone please help me?

FSt1

Extracting text from string

hi
if string is in colurn a...
in column b put...=LEFT(A1,3)
in column c put...=MID(A1,5,3)
in colurrn d put...=MID(A15,9,3)

regards
FSt1

"Confused" wrote:

How can I extract the following string: Aaa/AAA/AAA? These need to be
extracted into three separate column. The end result would look like this
Aaa (in column 1), AAA (in column 2), AAA (in column 3).

Can someone please help me?

Beege

Confused wrote:
How can I extract the following string: Aaa/AAA/AAA? These need to be
extracted into three separate column. The end result would look like this
Aaa (in column 1), AAA (in column 2), AAA (in column 3).

Can someone please help me?

How about Data/"Text to Columns" using the slash as a delimiter?

Beege

confused

Extracting text from string

The string can vary and will have different combinations, ie BB/AAA/B or
/B/B-.
Is there a formula that will just extract the characters before the "/"? so
in the string BB/AAA/B, column 1 will have BB, column 2 will have AAA, column
3 will have B.

Thanks,

"Confused" wrote:

How can I extract the following string: Aaa/AAA/AAA? These need to be
extracted into three separate column. The end result would look like this
Aaa (in column 1), AAA (in column 2), AAA (in column 3).

Can someone please help me?

1] Select your column
2] Go to menu item Data, then Text to Columns in the list of Data options
3] A dialog box will appear. You can choose either "delimited" or "fixed
width"
4] Choose "delimited", then next.
5] Different kinds of delimiters are displayed. Choose the "other" box
and enter a front slash mark.
6] Click "Okay"

Still confused?

Beege