-   -   Rounding problems when using excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/176237-rounding-problems-when-using-excel.html)

renfrotim

Rounding problems when using excel

When using excel, I use rounded $#'s and need it to total as such. Example:
$2.35 rounds to $2.
$2.35 rounds to $2.=$4 excel totals =$5 do to the .35+.35=.70 rounding up to
$5
I am using this in a propsal and 2+2=5 that's my problem

Ingolf[_2_]

Rounding problems when using excel

Hi renfrotim!

e.g.: A1 = $2.35
A2 = $2.35
A3 = =ROUND(A1+A2, 0) -- will return $5
A3 = =ROUND(A1, 0) + ROUND(A2, 0) -- will return $4

Regards
Ingolf

When using excel, I use rounded $#'s and need it to total as such. Example:
$2.35 rounds to $2.
$2.35 rounds to $2.=$4 excel totals =$5 do to the .35+.35=.70 rounding up to
$5
I am using this in a propsal and 2+2=5 that's my problem

Sandy Mann

Rounding problems when using excel

It sound like you are not rounding the numbers but actually formatting them
to show zero decimal places. Excel still uses the actual numbers, ie the
2.35's and SUMs these and because you have the total formatted to show only
whole numbers as well ,it shows 5.

To round the numbers to zero decimal places, (assuming that the answer is a
calculation):

=ROUND(<your formula,0)

Note however that this will make the number an integer and you will have
lost the original number.

If you want the total to be 5 with the other figures still 2.35 then use:

=SUM(ROUND(H1:H2,0))

and array enter it by holdingthe Ctrl & Shift keys pressed while you press
Enter.

Note that in this case although the 2.35's are still the same number, the
total is now cut down to be really only 4.

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings