-   -   HOW DO I CALCULATE THE NUMBER OF RESULTS FROM AN ENTIRE ROW (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/175233-how-do-i-calculate-number-results-entire-row.html)

sashasaurav

HOW DO I CALCULATE THE NUMBER OF RESULTS FROM AN ENTIRE ROW

IF SUPPOSE THESE ARE MY VALUES IN A SINGLE ROW.
P N/A P \ P B D \ \ P

NOW I WANT TO CALCULATE ALL THE
NUMBER OF P'S
NUMBER OF B'S ETC

HOW DO I CALCULATE THIS ?

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS

Dave Peterson

HOW DO I CALCULATE THE NUMBER OF RESULTS FROM AN ENTIRE ROW

=countif(1:1,"P")
will count the number of P's in row 1

--

Dave Peterson

sashasaurav

HOW DO I CALCULATE THE NUMBER OF RESULTS FROM AN ENTIRE ROW

HI Dave
I Need to count the number of p's and put in the result in one cell
So if i have an row like the following one

P n/a P B P F \
P B F

i have 4 P's here .

so i need a formula for this one because i cannot count as i have 1000
values in each row and have 57 rows of this kind .

So is there any formula which gives me all the number of P's in the
whole row

sashasaurav wrote:

IF SUPPOSE THESE ARE MY VALUES IN A SINGLE ROW.
P * * * N/A * * P * * * \ * * * P * * * B * * * D * * * \ * * * \ * * * P

NOW I WANT TO CALCULATE ALL THE
NUMBER OF P'S
NUMBER OF B'S ETC

HOW DO I CALCULATE THIS ?

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

HOW DO I CALCULATE THE NUMBER OF RESULTS FROM AN ENTIRE ROW

=countif(1:1,"P")
will count the number of P's in row 1

=countif(a1:x1,"p")
will count then number of p's in A1:X1

I don't understand your followup question, though.

sashasaurav wrote:

IF SUPPOSE THESE ARE MY VALUES IN A SINGLE ROW.
P N/A P \ P B D \ \ P

NOW I WANT TO CALCULATE ALL THE
NUMBER OF P'S
NUMBER OF B'S ETC

HOW DO I CALCULATE THIS ?

PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Max

HOW DO I CALCULATE THE NUMBER OF RESULTS FROM AN ENTIRE ROW

P n/a P B P F \
P B F

If you meant that the data you posted is all in a single cell, say in A1,
you could try this in B1:
=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"P",""))
to get the count of the "P" in A1

Copy B1 down as required
--
Max
Singapore

Shane Devenshire

HOW DO I CALCULATE THE NUMBER OF RESULTS FROM AN ENTIRE ROW

Hi,

You can combine the two answers you already have to check multiple how many
times the letter P appears in a set of cells, such as 3 times in A1, 4 times
in B1 and so on with the following formula:

=SUMPRODUCT((LEN(1:1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(1:1,"p",""))))

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire