-   -   Date format (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/173290-date-format.html)

Pierre

Date format

How would we get 2008-01 to read as "Jan-08"?, etc for months and
years.

I'd use a helper column if necessary. Custom format is better though.

TIA.

Pierre

Sam Wilson

Date format

Type the following in to the custom format:

mmm-yy

"Pierre" wrote:

How would we get 2008-01 to read as "Jan-08"?, etc for months and
years.

I'd use a helper column if necessary. Custom format is better though.

TIA.

Pierre

Pierre

Date format

On Jan 16, 9:57*am, Sam Wilson
wrote:
Type the following in to the custom format:

mmm-yy

Sam, thanks for the reply. Couldn't get it to work though.

Pierre

Pete_UK

Date format

It looks like 2008-01 is taken as text by Excel, so changing the
format of the cell will not work - instead, you will need a formula in
a helper cell, such as:

=DATE(LEFT(A1,4),RIGHT(A1,2),1)

and then format this cell using the custom format of mmm-yy. Copy the
formula down if you have many such entries.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 16, 4:13*pm, Pierre wrote:
On Jan 16, 9:57*am, Sam Wilson
wrote: Type the following in to the custom format:

mmm-yy

Sam, thanks for the reply. *Couldn't get it to work though.

Pierre

Pierre

Date format

On Jan 16, 10:21*am, Pete_UK wrote:
It looks like 2008-01 is taken as text by Excel, so changing the
format of the cell will not work - instead, you will need a formula in
a helper cell, such as:

=DATE(LEFT(A1,4),RIGHT(A1,2),1)

and then format this cell using the custom format of mmm-yy. Copy the
formula down if you have many such entries.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Pete: it worked like a charm. Thank you.

Pierre

Pete_UK

Date format

You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

"Pierre" wrote in message
On Jan 16, 10:21 am, Pete_UK wrote:
It looks like 2008-01 is taken as text by Excel, so changing the
format of the cell will not work - instead, you will need a formula in
a helper cell, such as:

=DATE(LEFT(A1,4),RIGHT(A1,2),1)

and then format this cell using the custom format of mmm-yy. Copy the
formula down if you have many such entries.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Pete: it worked like a charm. Thank you.

Pierre

Gord Dibben

Date format

DataText to ColumnsNextNextColumn Data FormatDateYMDFinish.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP