-   -   Replacing a Table-array with a cell reference in vlookup (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/173108-replacing-table-array-cell-reference-vlookup.html)

Allan

Replacing a Table-array with a cell reference in vlookup

I have created a named range. I use the name of the range as the second
argument in the vlookup function and the function works fine.

I would like to replace the name of the range with a cell reference. The
cell being referred to indicates the name of the range. When I do this, the
function ceases to work.

Can this be done?

Mike H

Replacing a Table-array with a cell reference in vlookup

Allan

Try this

=VLOOKUP(D1,INDIRECT(A1),2,FALSE)

Where A1 contains the name of your named range

Mike

"Allan" wrote:

I have created a named range. I use the name of the range as the second
argument in the vlookup function and the function works fine.

I would like to replace the name of the range with a cell reference. The
cell being referred to indicates the name of the range. When I do this, the
function ceases to work.

Can this be done?

Max

Replacing a Table-array with a cell reference in vlookup

Try INDIRECT
eg in say, C2:
=VLOOKUP(B2,INDIRECT(A2),2,0)
where A2 contains the named range
--
Max
Singapore
"Allan" wrote:
I have created a named range. I use the name of the range as the second
argument in the vlookup function and the function works fine.

I would like to replace the name of the range with a cell reference. The
cell being referred to indicates the name of the range. When I do this, the
function ceases to work.

Can this be done?

Allan

Replacing a Table-array with a cell reference in vlookup

Thank-you

"Allan" wrote:

I have created a named range. I use the name of the range as the second
argument in the vlookup function and the function works fine.

I would like to replace the name of the range with a cell reference. The
cell being referred to indicates the name of the range. When I do this, the
function ceases to work.

Can this be done?

Mike H

Replacing a Table-array with a cell reference in vlookup

your welcome

"Allan" wrote:

Thank-you