-   -   Stop excel rounding my 16/17 digit numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/172333-stop-excel-rounding-my-16-17-digit-numbers.html)

E Halliday

Stop excel rounding my 16/17 digit numbers

I receive a report which has transaction numbers either 16/17 digits long.
Is there anyway I can retrieve the full number from excel?

Much appreciated.

Dave Peterson

Stop excel rounding my 16/17 digit numbers

Excel keeps track of 15 significant digits.

If you are receiving a workbook (.xls), then it's probably too late.

If your report is plain text (.prn, .csv, .txt), then you could bring those
fields into excel as text (not General) and see all the characters.

If the file is named .csv, then rename it to .txt.

Then use File|Open and you'll be able to specify each field the way you want in
that text import wizard dialog.

--

Dave Peterson

Pete_UK

Stop excel rounding my 16/17 digit numbers

You need to treat them as text when you import to Excel, otherwise
values which are thought (by Excel) to be numbers will be truncated to
15 digit precision.

Hope this helps.

Pete