-   -   Creating an Index (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/171386-creating-index.html)

Bill Smith

Creating an Index

Is there an automated way to create an Index worksheet for a large workbook?
I inherited a bunch of workbooks with a different product on each worksheet.
The only place the part number is listed is on the tab.
I'm part way thru manually creating a worksheet that lists the tab name and
links to the individual worksheets. It's much too time consuming. Any ideas
will be appreciated.
Thanks!
--
Smitty
Somerset, PA

ryguy7272

Creating an Index

It is quite easy with the small macro:

Sub ListSheets()
'list of sheet names starting at A1
Dim rng As Range
Dim i As Integer
Set rng = Range("A1")
For Each Sheet In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets
rng.Offset(i, 0).Value = Sheet.Name
i = i + 1
Next Sheet

Ryan--

--
RyGuy

"Bill Smith" wrote:

Is there an automated way to create an Index worksheet for a large workbook?
I inherited a bunch of workbooks with a different product on each worksheet.
The only place the part number is listed is on the tab.
I'm part way thru manually creating a worksheet that lists the tab name and
links to the individual worksheets. It's much too time consuming. Any ideas
will be appreciated.
Thanks!
--
Smitty
Somerset, PA

CLR

Creating an Index

See here

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"ryguy7272" wrote in message
It is quite easy with the small macro:

Sub ListSheets()
'list of sheet names starting at A1
Dim rng As Range
Dim i As Integer
Set rng = Range("A1")
For Each Sheet In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets
rng.Offset(i, 0).Value = Sheet.Name
i = i + 1
Next Sheet

Ryan--

--
RyGuy

Thanks Ryan. It worked great.
Is there anyway to also create the hyperlinks from the resulting sheet names
to each tab (worksheet)?
--
Smitty
Somerset, PA

Bill Smith

Creating an Index

Thanks Chuck!
--
Smitty
Somerset, PA

"CLR" wrote in message
See here

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Bill Smith" wrote:

Is there an automated way to create an Index worksheet for a large
workbook?
I inherited a bunch of workbooks with a different product on each
worksheet.
The only place the part number is listed is on the tab.
I'm part way thru manually creating a worksheet that lists the tab name
and
links to the individual worksheets. It's much too time consuming. Any
ideas
will be appreciated.
Thanks!
--
Smitty
Somerset, PA

CLR

Creating an Index

You're welcome.........I got that from an old Frank Kable post..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Bill Smith" wrote:

Thanks Chuck!
--
Smitty
Somerset, PA

"CLR" wrote in message
See here

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Bill Smith" wrote:

Is there an automated way to create an Index worksheet for a large
workbook?
I inherited a bunch of workbooks with a different product on each
worksheet.
The only place the part number is listed is on the tab.
I'm part way thru manually creating a worksheet that lists the tab name
and
links to the individual worksheets. It's much too time consuming. Any
ideas
will be appreciated.
Thanks!
--
Smitty
Somerset, PA

Gord Dibben

Creating an Index

Bill

Rather than an index sheet with hyperlinks.......how do you get back to the
index sheet?.............try a sheet navigation toolbar or similar.

Sheet navigation bar from Debra Dalgleish's site.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlToolbar01.html

Or Bob Phillips' Browsesheets macro which I prefer.

See this google search result. All one line for the URL

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c19464f875bd25

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:44:59 -0500, "Bill Smith" wrote:

Thanks Chuck!