Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default help to in setting up a proper Vlookup table and formula

I need your assistance in properly using and formatting a Vlookup
Formula or a Vlookup table. I have attempted to use Lookup, Vlookup,
and HLookup tables, just cannot get the result that I need.

On my Rate Page, A1:K52, sheet 1, I have three listings of postage
rates in increments of less than an ounce to five pounds; ounces along
with corresponding rates are in fractional increments of 16th, for
example, 0.41 cents equals 1/16; 0.58 equals 2/16; .75 equals 3/16
and so on, alongside their weight labels, such as, 0.41 cents equals
1/16 ounce; 0.58 equals 2/16 ounce; .75 equals 3/16 ounce and so on,
as each element has its own column the table appears as follows:

A1:C52, Name Range is FRate, my VLookup Fraction Table Example;
0.41 1/16 ounce
0.58 2/16 ounce
0.75 3/16 ounce

E1:G52, Name Range is DRate, my VLookup DRate Table Example;
0.41 1 ounce
0.58 2 ounce
0.75 3 ounce

I1:K52, Name Range is D2RRate, my VLookup D2RateTable Example;
0.41 0.0625 ounce
0.58 0.125 ounce
0.75 0.0625 ounce

Then on my Department Sheet, Sheet 2 I have row for each day of the
month for a year and columns from

The following are two date samples, A8:V9:

Date Dept Pieces Rate Amt
Row 8 =1-Jan-08 Administration 1 $0.41 $0.41
Row 9 =2-Jan-08 Administration 2 $0.41 $0.82

This first section work great.
Column
A= Date
B=Department
C=Number of Pieces
D=C8*E8 , which equals .41

First VLookup Table is FRate

Fozib Flabel Fozib Flabel
Row 8 = 1/16 ounce 1/16 ounce
Row 9 = 1/16 ounce 2/16 Ounce*
G=Vlookup(D8,Frate,2,False)
H=Vlookup(D8,FRate,3,False)
I=C8*G8
J=Is suppose to be the total weight and is to read Vlookup(D8,Frate,
3,False), but the only way I can make it works is to have it read *as
follows: If(I8<= 0.8125, "ounce", "pound")

Second VLookup Table is DRate

Pieces Dozib Dlabel Dozib Dlabel
Row 8 =1 1 #N/A 1 #N/A
Row 9 =2 1 #N/A 2 #N/A
L=C8 which is correct for it is number of pieces 1
M=Vlookup(D8,Drate,2,False) is correct .41 equals 1 ounce.
N= Vlookup(D8,Drate,3,False) which is returning a #NA, should return
'Ounce'.
O=L8*M8
P=Vlookup(O8,Drate,3,False), which is also returning a #NA, but
should read Ounce.

Third VLookup Table is named D2Rate

Pieces D2ozib D2label D2ozib D2label
Row 8 =1 0.0625 ounce 0.0625 #N/A
Row 9 =2 0.0625 ounce 0.125 #N/A
R=C8 which is correct for it is the number of pieces entered at this
rate which is 1
S=Vlookup(D8,Drate,2,False) is correct .41 equals 0.0625 ounce!
T= Vlookup(D8,Drate,3,False) ounce is correct for .41!
U=R8*R8
V=Vlookup(O8,Drate,3,False), which is also returning a #NA, but
should read Ounce.

Why the returning ounces and weight is correct in this Vlookup, do
fraction needed to be converted
How to avoid the #NA?
I have attempted =if(isseror(Vlookup(D8,Drate,3,False) )) and I am
told that I have an error or missing parenthesis or an error in the
formula

Am I not capturing the correct number to be lookup. I have tried abs
(o8) and abs(u8) no success, wrong formula usages.

I blundered in my last attempt whereby I inserted a file in my request
for help. Sorry for having taken up such valuable user time by the
viewers of this user site. The problem seem to overwhelming, or else
I was pushed for time, whereupon, I just could not seem to put the
problem in proper wording, which I may have failed to do so again.
I only hoping that someone will take the time to review and assist me
in correcting this second attempt to locate my error in my use of a
VLookup formula.
Thank you for sharing your time with me in this personal matter,

George