-   -   column autofill question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/170436-column-autofill-question.html)

JohnBee

column autofill question

I am trying to autofill a column with the same date, but have the autofill
change when a new date is encountered in the column.

Susan

column autofill question

i don't think you can do it within the same column. there'd be no way
for an excel formula to compare & recognize a new date.
IMHO you'd need a helper column.......

dates are in colum a
formula in cell b1 would be:
=a1
formula in cell b2 would be:
=IF((A1=A2),A1,A2)
formula in cell b3 would be:
=IF((A2=A3),A2,A3)

drag down & autofill
hope it helps!
susan

On Dec 20, 12:20 pm, JohnBee
wrote:
I am trying to autofill a column with the same date, but have the autofill
change when a new date is encountered in the column.

Gord Dibben

column autofill question

Assuming A1 has a date.

A2:A10 blank

A11 has a date.

A12:A20 blank.

A21 has a date.

Select column A and F5SpecuilBlanksOK

Type an = sign in active blank cell(A2) and then point or arrow up to A1.

Hit CTRL + ENTER.

You can copy/paste specialvalues to get rid of the formulas.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP