-   -   Large function - Please explain (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/170146-large-function-please-explain.html)

Danny

Large function - Please explain

Hi,

1.
LARGE({3,4,5,2,3,4,5,6,4,7},3) equals 5

2.
LARGE({3,4,5,2,3,4,5,6,4,7},7) equals 4

Please explain why number 2's answer is 4.

Thank you

Ron Coderre

Large function - Please explain

Using your numbers in descending order (for more clarity):

=LARGE({7,6,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,2},1) =7
=LARGE({7,6,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,2},2) =6
=LARGE({7,6,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,2},3) =5
=LARGE({7,6,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,2},4) =5
=LARGE({7,6,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,2},5) =4
=LARGE({7,6,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,2},6) =4
=LARGE({7,6,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,2},7) =4
=LARGE({7,6,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,2},8) =3
=LARGE({7,6,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,2},9) =3
=LARGE({7,6,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,2},10)=2

Were you looking for something different?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Danny" wrote in message

1.
LARGE({3,4,5,2,3,4,5,6,4,7},3) equals 5

2.
LARGE({3,4,5,2,3,4,5,6,4,7},7) equals 4

Please explain why number 2's answer is 4.

Thank you

T. Valko

Large function - Please explain

Enter your numbers sorted in descending order in a range of cells, say,
A2:J2 -

7,6,5,5,4,4,4,3,3,2

Now enter these numbers in A1:J1 -

1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

Notice what number is under the 7 in cell G1. 7 being the 7th largest.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Danny" wrote in message

1.
LARGE({3,4,5,2,3,4,5,6,4,7},3) equals 5

2.
LARGE({3,4,5,2,3,4,5,6,4,7},7) equals 4

Please explain why number 2's answer is 4.

Thank you

Dave F[_2_]

Large function - Please explain

The second formula is looking for the seventh largest number. You
have a sequence of 10 numbers, three of which repeat themselves: 3
appears twice, 4 appears three times and 5 appears twice. Thus, in
order from smallest to largest you have: 2,3,3,4,4,4,5,5,6,7.

Counting from largest to smallest (i.e., from left to right), we see
that the seventh digit is 4.

On Dec 18, 2:45 pm, Danny wrote:
Hi,

1.
LARGE({3,4,5,2,3,4,5,6,4,7},3) equals 5

2.
LARGE({3,4,5,2,3,4,5,6,4,7},7) equals 4

Please explain why number 2's answer is 4.

Thank you

Niek Otten

Large function - Please explain

Excel Help doesn't specify what it does with ties.

But The 7th largest has 6 "above" it: 7,6,5,5,4,4

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Danny" wrote in message ...
| Hi,
|
| 1.
| LARGE({3,4,5,2,3,4,5,6,4,7},3) equals 5
|
| 2.
| LARGE({3,4,5,2,3,4,5,6,4,7},7) equals 4
|
| Please explain why number 2's answer is 4.
|
| Thank you

Danny

Large function - Please explain

Very well explained. Thanks a lot. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!