-   -   lookup assistance (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/169182-lookup-assistance.html)

theredspecial

lookup assistance

my apologies if a similar question is already here, but i could find it that
quickly.

i need to lookup a value in the following situation
a b c d e f
1 45 6 78 6 0%
5 6 7 77 7 1%
5 7 4 7 8 2%
etc.

the function needs to determine the column by comparing it to a value in the
table where the result should go. next, in this column it should look for
another value (set elsewhere). from this row the function than needs to
return a percentage (always the last column in the array)

any hints? i used several combinations of (v)lookup and/or index and match,
but i can't get it to work

Max

lookup assistance

Suppose you have the 2 lookup param values like these

In H1: 4 (assume this number 4 is the col# to lookup, ie col D)
In I1: 77 (assume this is the lookup value within the col indicated by H1)

Then in J1, you could place:
=INDEX(F:F,MATCH(I1,OFFSET(A:A,,H1-1),0))
and format J1 as percentage. J1 will return the result that you seek.
--
Max
Singapore