-   -   Excel cell Formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/168587-excel-cell-formatting.html)

scott

Excel cell Formatting

I would like to type numbers including leading zeros while still being able
to do calculations.

Is this possible? What is the format type? When I use text it allows the
leading zero, but of course not calculations can be made on the entries
because it is treated as text.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Flick Olmsford

Excel cell Formatting

I would try a custom number format (Format menu | Cells | Number tab | Custom
format tab. Use a custom format of 00000 (five zeros to guarantee leading
zeros appear before all numbers <= 99999. Use more or less zeros depending
on your application.