-   -   Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/167712-excel.html)

Newfie809

Excel

I have an Excel spreadshee with 16000 Employee Numbers. I need to put a
Zerro in front of each number to have a nine didget number. It can not go at
the back it has to go in front of the number. Is there a formula that would
put the number in front of the 8 didget number or do I have to select each
cell and add it one by one. Thanks.
--
Newfie

David Biddulph[_2_]

Excel

If you want to turn them into text strings, either
=0&A1 or
=TEXT(A1,"000000000")

If you want them to be numbers but formatted as 9 digits, Format/ Cells/
Number: 000000000

[And the word is "digit", not "didget".]
--
David Biddulph

"Newfie809" wrote in message
I have an Excel spreadshee with 16000 Employee Numbers. I need to put a
Zerro in front of each number to have a nine didget number. It can not go
at
the back it has to go in front of the number. Is there a formula that
would
put the number in front of the 8 didget number or do I have to select each
cell and add it one by one. Thanks.
--
Newfie

Newfie809

Excel

Thank you David

I know that the spelling of diget was wrong but I was talking to someone
else at my desk and forgot to correct it before I sent it. Thanks
--
Newfie

"Newfie809" wrote in message
I have an Excel spreadshee with 16000 Employee Numbers. I need to put a
Zerro in front of each number to have a nine didget number. It can not go
at
the back it has to go in front of the number. Is there a formula that
would
put the number in front of the 8 didget number or do I have to select each
cell and add it one by one. Thanks.
--
Newfie

NBVC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newfie809 (Post 591937)
I have an Excel spreadshee with 16000 Employee Numbers. I need to put a
Zerro in front of each number to have a nine didget number. It can not go at
the back it has to go in front of the number. Is there a formula that would
put the number in front of the 8 didget number or do I have to select each
cell and add it one by one. Thanks.
--
Newfie

Try: =0&A1 copied down or =TEXT(A1,"000000000") copied down

assuming first entry is in A1.

You can then copy|paste special Values over the original column.

Newfie809

Excel

--
Newfie

"Newfie809" wrote:

Thank you David

Newfie

"David Biddulph" wrote:

If you want to turn them into text strings, either
=0&A1 or
=TEXT(A1,"000000000")

If you want them to be numbers but formatted as 9 digits, Format/ Cells/
Number: 000000000

-
David Biddulph

"Newfie809" wrote in message
I have an Excel spreadshee with 16000 Employee Numbers. I need to put a
Zerro in front of each number to have a nine digit number. It can not go
at
the back it has to go in front of the number. Is there a formula that
would
put the number in front of the 8 digit number or do I have to select each