-   -   Circumventing the 255 character header/footer limit (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/166734-circumventing-255-character-header-footer-limit.html)

Cato Larsen

Circumventing the 255 character header/footer limit

Hey guys!
Been looking into this limit, and its bugging the living daylight out of me.
If I start formatting the text in the header/footer I get the 255 limit
(adding bold here and there).
Is there a way to circumvent this, or make a header and footer trough
lockable cells in excel?

--
Cato Larsen
HelpDesk Monkey

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Circumventing the 255 character header/footer limit

Hey Cato,

I understand how frustrating it can be to hit the 255 character limit in Excel's header/footer. Fortunately, there are a few workarounds you can try to get around this limitation.

One option is to use a text box instead of the header/footer. To do this, go to the Insert tab and click on Text Box. Then, draw a text box in the header/footer area and type in your text. You can format the text as you like, and there is no character limit. However, keep in mind that the text box may not print correctly if it overlaps with other content on the page.

Another option is to use a formula to concatenate multiple cells into a single header/footer. For example, if you have text in cells A1, B1, and C1 that you want to include in the header/footer, you can use the formula "&A1&B1&C1" in the header/footer section. This will combine the text from all three cells into a single header/footer, and there is no character limit.

Finally, you can try adjusting the margins of your document to create more space for the header/footer. To do this, go to the Page Layout tab and click on Margins. From there, you can choose a different margin size or create custom margins that give you more space for the header/footer.

I hope these suggestions help you get around the 255 character limit in Excel's header/footer. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with!

Best,
HelpDesk Monkey

Bernard Liengme

Circumventing the 255 character header/footer limit

If there was a way to circumvent the 255 limit, then 255 would not be the
limit but some other value would!
You know about Page Setup and having set rows printed on every page?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cato Larsen" wrote in message
Hey guys!
Been looking into this limit, and its bugging the living daylight out of
me.
If I start formatting the text in the header/footer I get the 255 limit
(adding bold here and there).
Is there a way to circumvent this, or make a header and footer trough
lockable cells in excel?

--
Cato Larsen
HelpDesk Monkey

Cato Larsen

Circumventing the 255 character header/footer limit

There is usually more than one way to attack a problem, no? :)

Yes, I've explored the Page Setup dialog, but in Excel 2003 (should have
mentioned this in my original post, sorry) it seems as if Im limited to only
the Top of the sheet, and not the bottom as well.

--
Cato Larsen
HelpDesk Monkey

Dave Peterson

Circumventing the 255 character header/footer limit

Maybe you can create a picture of the text you want (using a different
application).

Then you could insert that picture in the header/footer.

Cato Larsen wrote:

Hey guys!
Been looking into this limit, and its bugging the living daylight out of me.
If I start formatting the text in the header/footer I get the 255 limit
(adding bold here and there).
Is there a way to circumvent this, or make a header and footer trough
lockable cells in excel?

--
Cato Larsen
HelpDesk Monkey

--

Dave Peterson

Jim Cone

Circumventing the 255 character header/footer limit

It appears a "Rows to Repeat at Bottom" feature in Excel
was something you were looking for. So let me relate that I am in the
later stages of development of an Excel add-in "Special Print" that
provides that feature.
It creates a copy of your worksheet with the specified rows added to
the bottom of the each page. You print from the new sheet.

I am in need of suggestions for and a critique of the program.
If you are interested and willing to provide your comments about the program,
please let me know and I will forward a copy.
Remove XXX from my email address: XX

Those who respond should use their real name and indicate their
geographic location.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Cato Larsen"
wrote in message
There is usually more than one way to attack a problem, no? :)

Yes, I've explored the Page Setup dialog, but in Excel 2003 (should have
mentioned this in my original post, sorry) it seems as if Im limited to only
the Top of the sheet, and not the bottom as well.

--
Cato Larsen
HelpDesk Monkey

Cato Larsen

Circumventing the 255 character header/footer limit

Hey Jim.
Thank you for the offer, but as I'm currently working for the Norwegian Army
on a NATO Restricted platform, just getting the testing and authorization to
be able to use the program would take 2-3 months.

Thank you for your offer though!

--
Cato Larsen
HelpDesk Monkey

Cato Larsen

Circumventing the 255 character header/footer limit

Ive considered the use of pictures to replace the text. the problem is that
this is a template that will be used for a lot of different documents, and
the people using this template has limited experience with photo editing
software and so fourth.

Is there any smart way of doing this trough VB or similar?
--
Cato Larsen
HelpDesk Monkey

Dave Peterson

Circumventing the 255 character header/footer limit

If the headers/footers don't change, maybe you could create a template (or
several) and never let the users know that there are pictures there.

Cato Larsen wrote:

Ive considered the use of pictures to replace the text. the problem is that
this is a template that will be used for a lot of different documents, and
the people using this template has limited experience with photo editing
software and so fourth.

Is there any smart way of doing this trough VB or similar?
--
Cato Larsen
HelpDesk Monkey

--

Dave Peterson

Cato Larsen

Circumventing the 255 character header/footer limit

Pretty much everything the template contain in the header and footer is
dynamic.
Document name, date, author, path to document, page and so fourth, so this
is not feasible.

--
Cato Larsen
HelpDesk Monkey