-   -   Not sure what function to use and how. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/165966-not-sure-what-function-use-how.html)

lechlibl

Not sure what function to use and how.

I am doing a class project and within the project is a win and loss schedule
for a team. I wondered if there was a function that would take the word win
or loss from a column so I can place is into another column to have a running
total of wins and losses. Maybe a If function? I hope that makes sense.

Results Record
Won ?????
Lost ??????
Won
Lost

JMB

Not sure what function to use and how.

Perhaps you are looking for countif?

=Countif(A1:A10,"Won")

"lechlibl" wrote:

I am doing a class project and within the project is a win and loss schedule
for a team. I wondered if there was a function that would take the word win
or loss from a column so I can place is into another column to have a running
total of wins and losses. Maybe a If function? I hope that makes sense.

Results Record
Won ?????
Lost ??????
Won
Lost

T. Valko

Not sure what function to use and how.

Try this:

=COUNTIF(A$1:A1,"won")&" - "&COUNTIF(A$1:A1,"lost")

Copy down as needed.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP