-   -   Matrix multiplication with empty cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/16568-matrix-multiplication-empty-cells.html)

Ingrid Voigt

Matrix multiplication with empty cells

Hi,

I've got matrices in my worksheet I'd like to
multiply using MMULT. However, as long as some
of the cells referred to are empty, I can't
get a result. Excel apparently doesn't set the
contents of these cells to 0 as I'd like it to.

Is there a way or a setting around this? When
multiplying "manually" (A1*B1 + A2*...) it
works properly. Filling up the cells with zeros
is not a good idea. (The table is a chess tournament
table where an empty cell indicates "game not played",
but a zero cell "game lost").

I'm using the German language version of Excel 97
if that matters.

Regards
Ingrid

Harlan Grove

"Ingrid Voigt" wrote...
I've got matrices in my worksheet I'd like to
multiply using MMULT. However, as long as some
of the cells referred to are empty, I can't
get a result. Excel apparently doesn't set the
contents of these cells to 0 as I'd like it to.

Since you'd be entering these as array formulas anyway, if RngA and RngB
have blank cells, try

=MMULT(RngA+0,RngB+0)

Vasant Nanavati

Nice one, Harlan! Never thought of that.

--

Vasant

"Ingrid Voigt" wrote...