-   -   Compare and Merge Wookbooks (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/16485-compare-merge-wookbooks.html)

Dan Powell

Compare and Merge Wookbooks

I have two Excel files which I want to Merge together on the cell PatientID
into another Excel file (Starting Empty). The tool box has a command 'Compare
and Merge Wookbooks' but is greyed out.

Debra Dalgleish

You can use that feature for workbooks that are copies of the same
shared workbook, and each must contain a change history. For details,
look for 'Merging workbooks' in Excel's Help.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Dan Powell

I was able to complete the task by first taking the two Excel files and
saving as dbf Databases. Then in a blank worksheet I selected Select Data -
Import External Data - New Database Query. This displayed Choose Data Source
and I selected the two dbf tables. This then took me to Access which allowed
me to define the link between the two tables which I used PatientID. It then
merged the two tables into a single row containing data from both tables
creating a new mdb table. I then choose the Return to Excel which now has
Matching tables rows into one row in Excel.

Dan Powell wrote:
I have two Excel files which I want to Merge together on the cell PatientID
into another Excel file (Starting Empty). The tool box has a command 'Compare
and Merge Wookbooks' but is greyed out.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Debra Dalgleish

Great! Thanks for explaining how you solved the problem. The information
may help someone else who's trying to do something similar.