-   -   Column Comparison Trouble (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/164342-column-comparison-trouble.html)

RH

Column Comparison Trouble

I'm sure this is somewhat simple, but I just can't figure it out. I have two
columns - A lists a unique number, and B lists all the times this number was
used (other details were cut). So I think it makes A to B one to many.

I need a formula that will confirm or show evidence that all records in A
were used in B, and if any were missed point this out. I have been trying
vlookup with no luck. Example layout below - I would like column C to say if
each number in A was used in B. Thanks in advance.

A B
1 1
2 1
3 1
4 2
5 2
3
4
5

Max

Column Comparison Trouble

One way

Put in C1:
=IF(A1="","",IF(COUNTIF(B:B,A1)0,"Y","N"))
Copy down. "Y" will be returned where the number in col A appears in col B
("used"), "N" otherwise.
--
Max
Singapore

"RH" wrote:

I'm sure this is somewhat simple, but I just can't figure it out. I have two
columns - A lists a unique number, and B lists all the times this number was
used (other details were cut). So I think it makes A to B one to many.

I need a formula that will confirm or show evidence that all records in A
were used in B, and if any were missed point this out. I have been trying
vlookup with no luck. Example layout below - I would like column C to say if
each number in A was used in B. Thanks in advance.

A B
1 1
2 1
3 1
4 2
5 2
3
4
5

Robert[_5_]

Column Comparison Trouble

In column C put in this and copy down =COUNTIF(B:B,A1) and in any
other cell put in this =COUNTIF(C:C,0) this will return a number 0
if there are records in A that don't exist in B