-   -   Explanation Relative/Absolute Cell Reference (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/16298-explanation-relative-absolute-cell-reference.html)

Cath

Explanation Relative/Absolute Cell Reference

Help please! I cannot get my head around the difference between
relative and absolute referencing. Any help offered would be
gratefully appreciated. Thanks. Cath.

--
Cath

JudithJubilee

Hello there,

Relative and Absolute cell addressing refers to the way a=20
formula is copied, ie. when the fill handle is dragged.

Relative:

Name Jan Feb Mar Total
Bob 10 20 30 =3DB1+C1+D1
Ben 20 30 40 =3DB2+C2+D2
Betty 30 40 50 =3DB3+C3+D3

The cell references change as the formula is copied. When=20
the results is moved down so are the cells it refers to.

Absolute:

Item Price VAT
TV =A3500 =3DB2*$B$5
Video =A3200 =3DB3*$B$5
DVD =A3100 =3DB4*$B$5
VAT 17.5%

The cell reference for the Salary moves down (Relative)=20
but the VAT cell stays the same (Absolute), so each price=20
is multiplied by the same cell.

You can add the dollars by pressing F4 after clicking on=20
the cell in the formula bar

Hope this helps

Judith