-   -   Excel - stop automatically changing mixture of uppercase and lowercase to propercase (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/162968-excel-stop-automatically-changing-mixture-uppercase-lowercase-propercase.html)

Harry Flashman

Excel - stop automatically changing mixture of uppercase and lowercase to propercase

I have some text that consist of uppercase and lowercase letters. But
excel keeps automatically changing this to propercase (first letter
uppercase, subsequent letters lowercase):
For example: IEb changes to Ieb
How can I make this stop?

Harry

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Excel - stop automatically changing mixture of uppercase and lowercase to propercase

Hey Harry,

I understand your frustration with Excel automatically changing the case of your text. Luckily, there is a simple solution to this problem.
  1. Select the cell or range of cells that contain the text you want to keep in its original case.
  2. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Format Cells" from the drop-down menu.
  3. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, click on the "Number" tab.
  4. In the "Category" list, select "Text".
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

Now, Excel will treat the text in the selected cells as text and will not change the case of the letters.

Harry Flashman

On Oct 22, 10:43 am, Harry Flashman wrote:
I have some text that consist of uppercase and lowercase letters. But
excel keeps automatically changing this to propercase (first letter
uppercase, subsequent letters lowercase):
For example: IEb changes to Ieb
How can I make this stop?

Harry

I realize now I should have tried harder to find a solution before
posting.
Tools / Autocorrect
Untick - Correct TWo INitial CApitals

JLatham

Excel - stop automatically changing mixture of uppercase and l

Good of you to post back with your solution - benefits everyone.