-   -   Serial number generate (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/162737-serial-number-generate.html)

tony

Serial number generate

Hi

I am writing a formula to generate a serial number automatically. I use
A1+1 in cell B1. A1=0, then each record will increase. But I cant do any
sorting. On the other hand, I dont want to change the formula into a value
then I can do sorting. Can anyone help please please?? (Dont be too
technical, I am not very good with computer, thanks)

Tony

David Biddulph[_2_]

Serial number generate

What do you mean by "But I can't do any sorting"?
--
David Biddulph

"Tony" wrote in message
Hi

I am writing a formula to generate a serial number automatically. I use
"A1+1" in cell B1. A1=0, then each record will increase. But I can't do
any
sorting. On the other hand, I don't want to change the formula into a
value
then I can do sorting. Can anyone help please please?? (Don't be too
technical, I am not very good with computer, thanks)

Tony

Mike H

Serial number generate

Tony,

It sounds like you are generating sequential numbers. Have a look here for
some alternative methods.

Mike

"Tony" wrote:

Hi

I am writing a formula to generate a serial number automatically. I use
A1+1 in cell B1. A1=0, then each record will increase. But I cant do any
sorting. On the other hand, I dont want to change the formula into a value
then I can do sorting. Can anyone help please please?? (Dont be too
technical, I am not very good with computer, thanks)

Tony

Mike H

Serial number generate

Sorry forgot the link

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html

"Tony" wrote:

Hi

I am writing a formula to generate a serial number automatically. I use
A1+1 in cell B1. A1=0, then each record will increase. But I cant do any
sorting. On the other hand, I dont want to change the formula into a value
then I can do sorting. Can anyone help please please?? (Dont be too
technical, I am not very good with computer, thanks)

Tony

tony

Serial number generate

David

I am when I do the sorting, the rest of data can be sorted, but the serial
no. keep the same (doesn't follow the record)

Tks
Tony