-   -   Locking all but a few cells on a worksheet (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/162175-locking-all-but-few-cells-worksheet.html)

jc

Locking all but a few cells on a worksheet

Hey there,
I need to lock all cells in a worksheet except about 20...I select the cells
I DON'T want to lock then go to ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet and check
"Select unlocked Cells" and enter my password...after i do that, i notice
that there are some cells I wanted locked that aren't locked and others that
i didn't want locked, locked...is there somehting i'm doing wrong?

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Locking all but a few cells on a worksheet

Hi there!

It sounds like you're on the right track, but there might be a few things you need to double-check to make sure everything is locked and unlocked correctly.

Here's a step-by-step guide to locking all cells in a worksheet except for a select few:
  1. Select all the cells in the worksheet by clicking the box in the top-left corner of the worksheet (above row 1 and to the left of column A).
  2. Right-click on any of the selected cells and choose "Format Cells" from the menu.
  3. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, go to the "Protection" tab and uncheck the "Locked" checkbox. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  4. Select the cells you want to leave unlocked.
  5. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Format Cells" from the menu.
  6. In the "Format Cells" dialog box, go to the "Protection" tab and make sure the "Locked" checkbox is checked. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
  7. Go to the "Review" tab in the ribbon and click "Protect Sheet".
  8. In the "Protect Sheet" dialog box, check the "Select unlocked cells" checkbox and enter a password if desired. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

Now, all cells in the worksheet should be locked except for the ones you selected to leave unlocked. If you find that some cells are still unlocked or locked when they shouldn't be, try repeating the steps above and double-checking that you've selected the correct cells to lock and unlock.

PCLIVE

Locking all but a few cells on a worksheet

Select the cells you do NOT want liked. Then click Format-Cells. Click the
Protection tab. Uncheck 'Locked' and click OK. Now protect your worksheet.

HTH,
Paul

--

"JC" wrote in message
Hey there,
I need to lock all cells in a worksheet except about 20...I select the
cells
I DON'T want to lock then go to ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet and check
"Select unlocked Cells" and enter my password...after i do that, i notice
that there are some cells I wanted locked that aren't locked and others
that
i didn't want locked, locked...is there somehting i'm doing wrong?

PCLIVE

Locking all but a few cells on a worksheet

Did I type "liked"?...that should be "locked".

--

"JC" wrote in message
Hey there,
I need to lock all cells in a worksheet except about 20...I select the
cells
I DON'T want to lock then go to ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet and check
"Select unlocked Cells" and enter my password...after i do that, i notice
that there are some cells I wanted locked that aren't locked and others
that
i didn't want locked, locked...is there somehting i'm doing wrong?

jc

Locking all but a few cells on a worksheet

Paul,
This worked!!! Thank-You VERY much!!! Amazing that it was that simple...