-   -   How can I enter a 4 in a cell & have it return 4:00 PM in Excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/160406-how-can-i-enter-4-cell-have-return-4-00-pm-excel.html)

jafco

How can I enter a 4 in a cell & have it return 4:00 PM in Excel?

I'm trying to make a simple work schedule in excel indicating only the
starting times of several employees. I would like to be able to simply type
in a single digit such as a 4 and have it return the time as 4:00 PM or maybe
2 digits such as 63 and have it return 6:30 PM. Excel does this quite well &
quite simply with currency; I can type a 4 and get a $4.00 as a result. My
schedule is very simple; the employees' names are listed in column A, the
days of the week are the headings for columns B-H. All I have to do is enter
the starting times in the empty cells.

Thank You

Peo Sjoblom

How can I enter a 4 in a cell & have it return 4:00 PM in Excel?

Its' rather different to enter 4 where the format is currency and get it to
return $4.00 since 4:00 PM is not the same as 4 whereas the 4 in $4.00 is
the same underlying value. 4:00 PM is the same as 16/24 so you could always
enter it as =16/24. If you want the value 04:00 PM you would need to use an
event macro that converts it to 04:00 PM

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Peo Sjoblom