-   -   Drop down lists that auto create and then filter the next drop down list (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/160191-drop-down-lists-auto-create-then-filter-next-drop-down-list.html)

[email protected]

Drop down lists that auto create and then filter the next drop down list

I'm trying to set up a spreadsheet using drop down menus

I currently have some 120 rows.

In the first column the are 4 possible choices of form (approx 30
records will have this value). However these values will change
regularly and I dont' want to keep looking to see what they are.

In the second column are names.

When I select the form I only want the second column to have the names
of people from that form.

I can do this using Autofilter if the records are on the same sheet
but I would have to hide a lot of rows and columns that I don't want
the user to see. I would like do the filtering on one worksheet, while
the data is held on another. On the first worksheet I would display a
range of graphs etc. based on the data found

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Ron Coderre

Drop down lists that auto create and then filter the next drop down list

See Debra Dalgleish's coverage of Dependent Lists:

Is that something you can work with?

Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

On 29 Sep, 19:49, "Ron Coderre"
wrote:
See Debra Dalgleish's coverage of Dependent Lists:http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html

Is that something you can work with?

Post back if you have more questions.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron (XL2003, Win XP)
Microsoft MVP (Excel)

wrote in message

ps.com...

I'm trying to set up a spreadsheet using drop down menus

I currently have some 120 rows.

In the first column the are 4 possible choices of form (approx 30
records will have this value). However these values will change
regularly and I dont' want to keep looking to see what they are.

In the second column are names.

When I select the form I only want the second column to have the names
of people from that form.

I can do this using Autofilter if the records are on the same sheet
but I would have to hide a lot of rows and columns that I don't want
the user to see. I would like do the filtering on one worksheet, while
the data is held on another. On the first worksheet I would display a
range of graphs etc. based on the data found

Does that make sense?

Thanks

Thanks for that article 13 did the trick

Gary H