-   -   Random Selection (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/159943-random-selection.html)

Craig

Random Selection

Hello all,

I am attempting to generate a random group of names from a list and am
having a bit of trouble. In a previous posting I found the formula
=INDEX(A4:A15,INT(RAND()*(12-1)+1)), which is perfect for selecting a single
name. The trouble that I have is that I need a random sample of 20% of the
list. Copying the formula into multiple cells leaves open the chance that
any given name can be selected multiple times.

Does anyone know a way to perform this same function in subsequent cells,
while excluding previously selected names?

Thank you for your help.

Craig

Max

Random Selection

One play ..

Assume Names listed in A4:A15
In B4: =RAND()
In C4: =INDEX($A$4:$A$15,RANK(B4,$B$4:$B$15))
Select B4:C4, copy down to C15. Hide away col B. C4:C15 will return a random
scramble of what's in A4:A15, refreshable via pressing the F9 key. Just point
to as many cells as you need in C4 down to grab your random x%.
--
Max
Singapore
"Craig" wrote:
Hello all,

I am attempting to generate a random group of names from a list and am
having a bit of trouble. In a previous posting I found the formula
=INDEX(A4:A15,INT(RAND()*(12-1)+1)), which is perfect for selecting a single
name. The trouble that I have is that I need a random sample of 20% of the
list. Copying the formula into multiple cells leaves open the chance that
any given name can be selected multiple times.

Does anyone know a way to perform this same function in subsequent cells,
while excluding previously selected names?

Thank you for your help.

Craig

JE McGimpsey

Random Selection

One way:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/...noreplace.html

In article ,
Craig wrote:

Hello all,

I am attempting to generate a random group of names from a list and am
having a bit of trouble. In a previous posting I found the formula
=INDEX(A4:A15,INT(RAND()*(12-1)+1)), which is perfect for selecting a single
name. The trouble that I have is that I need a random sample of 20% of the
list. Copying the formula into multiple cells leaves open the chance that
any given name can be selected multiple times.

Does anyone know a way to perform this same function in subsequent cells,
while excluding previously selected names?

Thank you for your help.

Craig

Craig

Random Selection

Thank you both. These are tremendously helpful.