-   -   Microsoft Excel 2002 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/159784-microsoft-excel-2002-a.html)

Sharon

Microsoft Excel 2002

How to specify cell length with text and leading spaces?
I want a cell to have only 35 text characters; however, I want the text I
enter to be counted with leading blank spaces. Similar to the leading 0
function that can be configured in the Format Cell, Number, Custom to mandate
4 number spaces where the number 12 is entered into the cell however with 4
number spaces (e.g. 0000) what will show up in the cell is 0012.

In the Format Cell, Number, Custom the " "@ does not include the text
after the @ in the total count rather this function ADDS text entered into
the cell after the @ so if count between the quotes" " is 35 the text
entered into the cell (e.g. gate) the total characters in the cell is 39.

Gary''s Student

Microsoft Excel 2002

Use Data Validation Custom Formula is:
=len(B9)<36