-   -   Allowing Only Certain Entrees (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/159625-allowing-only-certain-entrees.html)

George

Allowing Only Certain Entrees

I am using the spreadsheet as a tracking mechanism, how do I format a cell so
it will only take a certain entry. For example, the formula is set to only
count s1 or s2 or s4. If someone hits s5 one data entry, I want the cell to
reject it.
Thanks

David Biddulph[_2_]

Allowing Only Certain Entrees

Data validation.
Look in Help.
--
David Biddulph

"George" wrote in message
I am using the spreadsheet as a tracking mechanism, how do I format a cell
so
it will only take a certain entry. For example, the formula is set to
only
count s1 or s2 or s4. If someone hits s5 one data entry, I want the cell
reject it.
Thanks

FSt1

Allowing Only Certain Entrees

hi
click the cell which will take the input then on the menu bar...
Datavalidationfollow the wizard.
to learn more, on the menu bar...
helptype validationclick designate valid cell entries.

Regards
FSt1

"George" wrote:

I am using the spreadsheet as a tracking mechanism, how do I format a cell so
it will only take a certain entry. For example, the formula is set to only
count s1 or s2 or s4. If someone hits s5 one data entry, I want the cell to
reject it.
Thanks

JE McGimpsey

Allowing Only Certain Entrees

Take a look at the Validation entry in XL Help ("About setting
restrictions on cells and displaying input and error messages")