-   -   find number of occurences of text within a column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/159199-find-number-occurences-text-within-column.html)

rob w

find number of occurences of text within a column

i want to count the number of cells in a column that contain the text string
RDS. however there is also other text in the cells. i've tried
COUNTIF(H4:H108, "RDS"). but it returns 0 presumably as the cells contains
other text. how do i do this ? many thanks in advance.

Bob Phillips

find number of occurences of text within a column

=COUNTIF(H4:H108, "*RDS*")

--
HTH

Bob

"rob w" <rob wrote in message
i want to count the number of cells in a column that contain the text
string
RDS. however there is also other text in the cells. i've tried
COUNTIF(H4:H108, "RDS"). but it returns 0 presumably as the cells contains
other text. how do i do this ? many thanks in advance.

rob w[_2_]

find number of occurences of text within a column

great that works! many thanks.... rob

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=COUNTIF(H4:H108, "*RDS*")

--