-   -   How do I set up a constant reference to a cell that moves? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/158907-how-do-i-set-up-constant-reference-cell-moves.html)

ThirstyDave

How do I set up a constant reference to a cell that moves?

I have a worksheet that gets it's data from an outside program. When I
refresh the spreadsheet, if a new product is added, it gets inserted
alphabetically, moving all of the other cells (rows) down. My worksheets that
reference the cells now have the wrong data as the information has moved. Is
there a way I can reference that specific data even if it moves to a
different cell when I refresh?

bj

How do I set up a constant reference to a cell that moves?

how do you refer to the cell?
you might want to change your references to vlookups, index matches or the
like

"ThirstyDave" wrote:

I have a worksheet that gets it's data from an outside program. When I
refresh the spreadsheet, if a new product is added, it gets inserted
alphabetically, moving all of the other cells (rows) down. My worksheets that
reference the cells now have the wrong data as the information has moved. Is
there a way I can reference that specific data even if it moves to a
different cell when I refresh?

Peo Sjoblom

How do I set up a constant reference to a cell that moves?

=INDIRECT("A1")

will always refer to A1

Peo Sjoblom