-   -   Help - linking and/or formulas. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/158499-help-linking-formulas.html)

nyreddbone

Help - linking and/or formulas.

Hi,

I need help. I am working in a spreadsheet that has a list of ALL of the
providers that I work with. I need to get information/link information from
another worksheet that has a FEW of the providers on the worksheet.

1. If I link these documents, does Excel automatically recognize the fact
that not all providers are listed or do I need to create a formula for that?
2.If I need to create a formula I think it should start with IF, but I'm not
sure where to go after that
3. If a formula is needed, do I have to link the formulas?

I hope I've asked the right questions. Any help would be appreciated, I had
no idea it would be so challenging.

Per Erik Midtrød[_2_]

Help - linking and/or formulas.

On Sep 16, 9:40 pm, nyreddbone
wrote:
Hi,

I need help. I am working in a spreadsheet that has a list of ALL of the
providers that I work with. I need to get information/link information from
another worksheet that has a FEW of the providers on the worksheet.

1. If I link these documents, does Excel automatically recognize the fact
that not all providers are listed or do I need to create a formula for that?
2.If I need to create a formula I think it should start with IF, but I'm not
sure where to go after that
3. If a formula is needed, do I have to link the formulas?

I hope I've asked the right questions. Any help would be appreciated, I had
no idea it would be so challenging.

I suggest you look at the vlookup formula.
Say you have vendor ID in column A on sheet1 and want to get the
information from column B, your formula would look something like
this:
=VLOOKUP("Vendor ID";Sheet1!A:B;2;FALSE)

Obviously you would replace "Vendor ID" with a cell reference.

Per Erik

Per Erik